Saturday 20 January 2018

Self Portrait From A While Ago

Self portrait from a while ago - my native american heritage coming through! I was doing a lot of metal embellishment on canvas at the time as you can see here. Someone commented they thought I "look prettier in real life" than in this portrait 😂 Have to admit I disagree, this painting is a very close likeness - sure I didn't go for a glamorous pose but then self portraits (generally) aren't about making yourself look attractive but about depicting & expressing yourself, inside & out. Often the artist is the artist's best sitter as they know that face so well & they know everything that goes on inside. For the record, I can & I do create many flattering portraits, but that wasn't what this painting was about 😉



You can check out the full painting and more images on my website: www.bethlouella.com (portraiture - fine art).


#womanhood #feminism #heritage#history #ancestry #nativeamerican #african #kenyan #dreads #emotion#spiritual #faith #culture #multicultural#ethnicity #artist #selfportrait #fridakahlo #painting #portrait #portraiture #art #artblog #artblogger #nuture #familytree #genetics #dreadlocks

No comments:

Post a Comment